Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Family Style by Angie Monson {Interview}


Today I'm excited to bring to you an amazing interview with my FAV photographer, Angie Monson! If you are on Pinterest, you've seen her work....the beautifully dressed family's and the gorgeous photo's. Angie was kind enough to answer a few questions about styling families that hopefully will help us help our clients. You can find Angie and her work at the following places:

Simplicity Photography
SP Facebook

Q: Tell us about yourself/business.
A. I started my photography business about 9 years ago shooting weddings & kids. I shot film and then moved onto digital in 2006. I have 3 kids that I love dearly & we live in Salt Lake City, UT. I love that I love what I do for a living!

Q: Your photography is well known for beautiful colors and clients that are dressed like they just stepped out of a magazine, as well as your children always looking like little models. Do you coach your clients on what to wear? Do you spend a lot of time coordinating outfits for your own kids shoots?
A. I used to coach my clients a TON! I used to send them links, set up outfits for them & even go shopping with them. It is VERY time consuming so I stopped doing that. Now that I have a slew of beautifully dressed clients on my blog I send them to my blog or website for inspiration. I have to say though that people in Utah are incredibly gorgeous and have some great fashion sense so I cannot take all the credit;)
I do think there are many ways though to show your clients ideas for their upcoming photos. Pinterest is really amazing for outfit inspiration. You can start a board to send your clients to and this is very helpful. I do want clients to dress for their own personalities so I don't necessarily dress them how I would... I think it's best to just send them to your favorite sites and let them do their thing. I have them send links to me of ideas they have and I will help them narrow it down.
I think the best thing that has worked for me is having them just bring options to the photo shoot and I pick what will "photograph best".


Q: How do you go about deciding on a color scheme or theme for your personal shoots? Do you pick one clothing item and go from there?
A. I really don't necessarily think of color when planning for personal shoots. I really plan more of a "feeling" that I am going for and then just grab all the clothing that has a "romantic" or "edgy" feeling and then throw it all together. My favorite shoots have been things that I just threw together that didn't really necessarily match or "go" together. I think that is what makes an outfit interesting... is to have something a little off or different. Makes you look twice.


Q: What are your favorite colors or style to shoot?

A. Right now I love blush colors with cream and beige... really romantic with lots of texture.

Q: Do you have any advice for family's trying to decide what to wear for photo's?
A. I think decide on a type of look first... Colorful, Edgy, Romantic, Fun, Rock star... etc. Then start picking out a few items that stand out. After I pick those things that stand out I use what I have already to work with the high end beautiful pieces. You don't have to spend a fortune to have beautiful clothing for your session. I always tell people to just pick a few colors or even all the colors they want and dress however they would like... I just make sure none of the colors or styles clash with each other. It's not my goal to be "matchy matchy". Basically I want my clients to dress in something that reflects who they are, but something that isn't everyday & a little special.

Q: Favorite place/s to shop for cute kids clothing?
Boys:
Aven Clothing
Zara
Gap
H&M
Next Direct
Knuckleheads
Tom & Drew
Scotch & Soda
Crewcuts (Jcrew)

Girls:
Persnickety
ZozoBugbaby
Zara
Gap
Next Direct
Naartjie
Paper Wings
Oilily
Scotch & Soda
Elaine Et Lena
Pink Chicken
Catimini
Room Seven
www.mylittlejules.com
Crewcuts (Jcrew)

I am sure I missed a few! Can you tell I love to shop??

Q: What advice can you give a photographer that is trying to steer a family away from the all white or black clothing?
A. I just tell them that all white will blow out and be overexposed. I want their faces to be the brightest subject on the photo so they stand out the most. This makes sense to most people... I think people don't know what to do, so having everyone wear the same thing just takes the guessing out of dressing everyone! Learn your brands & help people out! They will thank you!


Q: Any advice you can give us to create a cohesive look but yet not be matchy-matchy?

Like I said above, just pick a few colors and have fun with mixing and matching. I think the best outfits have 4-6 colors in them and it looks like they didn't try too hard.

Q: Any other advice you would like to give us?

A. Just have fun with outfits & colors! Don't stress too much! The images are about the family and their connection, clothing comes second to that;)


Thanks for the interview Angie! Hop on over and give her some love on fb!


Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: